Friday, February 27, 2009

Digging Out


While some parts of the country are digging out from yet another big snowfall, I'm still digging out from under a mountain of old photographs. When my mother cleaned out her house (almost 5 years ago now), all her old photo albums ended up at my house. Since the first of the year I have been going through them...and my own albums...and trying to make organized sense out of all of them. Mom and I were both pretty good about keeping up with photos, but there are just so many! I have plans for several scrapbooks and albums but after 2 months of working on this project, I'm still just barely able to see a light at the end of the tunnel of sorting.


Mom was one of 13 children and she has lots of neat old family photos. I've been sidetracked in my task by taking time to e-mail some of these pictures back and forth to cousins and one of my aunts. It's been a lot of fun. This first picture is of my mom with her 7 sisters. Mom is the one on the right, seated on the ground. The second pic is of her brothers. She had 5 brothers, but one died when he was 21 years old. These are the 4 that survived to adulthood and that teased and tortured us when we were growing up. Some of my very favorite people.

Another batch of really great pictures are all the ones of my dad (and mom) when he was in the Army Air Corps during WWII. I'm going to make a special album with those. There are also pictures of my uncles in their uniforms. This picture is of my dad (he's top left) with some of his army buddies. I don't know why...but this picture always makes me think of the guys from the Wizard of Oz!

1 comment:

Cathe said...

Wow Jo Beth I didn't know those photos exsisted. I can't wait to see them in person.