Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Big Sleep(over)

Jeremy had plans to go quail hunting this Friday and Saturday at the Burnt Pine Lodge in Newburn, Ga. Since he had to be up at 3:30 each morning (I would have to have a white-hot hate for a bird to get up at 3:30 in the morning just to kill him...but that's just me) and wouldn't be getting home till well after dark, they decided to spend the night at our house. The rooms at the lodge were all taken (apparently a lot of people hate these little creatures) and it would be closer for him to come and go from our house than from theirs. I thought it was a great plan. It's fun to have a house full once in a while.

I got Savannah a sleeping bag for Christmas last year and I keep telling her that she and I need to have a slumber party in our sleeping bags one night. You know, fall asleep on the living room floor while watching a movie! :) It just so happened that Wizard of Oz was on TV last night and she had never seen it. So while Jodi and Jeremy settled in downstairs, Emery was tucked into the air mattress beside our bed and Jerry was in that room with him, Savannah and I camped out in the living room and Roxie was tucked away in the computer room. Seemed like a great plan.

At about 1:30 a.m., Savannah got up and started going down the hall. I followed her and said, "Where are you going?"...thinking she needed to go to the bathroom. She went into the guest room and said, "I'm going to sleep in here". It did look more comfortable than the floor, so I joined her. I got up to use the bathroom about 10 minutes to 4:00. I hadn't heard Jeremy leave, and I was afraid his alarm hadn't gone off. So I checked outside and yep, he was gone. The cool, fresh, wee-hours-of-the-morning air was quite invigorating, though, so I was pretty much awake for a while. Good thing, because not too long after that I saw Emery walking down the hall (looking like Linus...because he's always dragging his blankie, too). I got up just in time as he was about to go into the computer room. I don't know which one would have been more surprised and scared...him or Roxie. I got him and took him downstairs to get into bed with mommy. Grandpa had been right behind me, so we each went back to bed. A few minutes later I heard the basement door...then I heard it again. (Jodi was coming up to get some children's Motrin because E had an earache.) Next thing I knew it was almost 7:00 a.m. and Savannah was getting up for the day. She entertained herself by writing invitations to a party (one of her favorite pastimes) and slipping them under everybody's doors.

I should have remembered from years past, though, that any time you hear the phrase "slumber party" it has not much to do with getting any "slumber".

1 comment:

jodi said...

There was nothing unusual about Friday night for me. Welcome to my world. :)