Saturday, April 12, 2008

The Lord's Day

"This is the day that the Lord hath made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it."

Do you know that if you get up really early, you can do a whole lot more rejoicing and being glad? Our "celebration" of today began at about 4:45 a.m. The grand kids had spent the night and were sleeping in their sleeping bags on the floor next to our bed. At about 4:45, I heard a thump and jumped up out of a sound sleep to find that one of them had rolled into the leg of the bed side table and it had fallen over on them! The lamp broke, but luckily only into two large pieces of glass and no shards. They were surprisingly calm...or still asleep and they helped me upright things again. Making sure eveything was cleaned up and everyone was okay, I tried to persuade them to go back to sleep. (Yeah, right, Nanny!) As I turned the light off again, Emery said, "What's that?" and pointed to the window. Savannah said, "Is that lightning?" I told them that, yes, it had been lightning out for a little while now but assured them there was no bad storm. Emery said, "I don't hear the funder." I told them they could lay there and watch the lightning show and be very quiet to see if they could hear thunder. To my surprise, they were very quiet. I thought they had gone back to sleep or, at the very least, were about to. Then I heard what sounded like the closet door on Jerry's side of the room. I got up and found them both sneaking into Grandpa's closet! I asked what they were doing and Savannah said, "We're on a field trip." And Emery added, "Yeah...a field trip." I told them both to get back on their sleeping bags and they could play field trip when the sun came up. So they settled back down. Not much after that, Roxie was whining at the basement door. She usually sleeps in our room, but when the kids stay over she sleeps downstairs. So Jerry got up to let her out. That was about 5:30, so I knew he would just stay up for the day. Emery was still a little restless (read: wound up), so I told him to come and get in bed with me. Pretty soon Savannah wanted in, too, so we added her. Then the two of them were poking at each other and laughing, so I put myself in the middle. Eventually, Savannah went back down to the sleeping bag and the three of us went back to sleep and didn't get up again until about 8:30. That's when Savannah and I got up...Emery stayed asleep until about 9:00.

Due to the amount of pollen in the air right now, I had taken an antihistamine when I went to bed. So I was a little groggy during all of this. But I KNOW I didn't dream it!

1 comment:

Jess said...

well, at least they won't be as fearful of storms anymore!
just falling lamps in the middle of the night!!