Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Eyes Have It


In the eyes of a child there is joy, there is laughter

There is hope, there is trust, a chance to shape the future

For the lessons of life there is no better teacher

Than the look in the eyes of a child.


I really liked this song when Air Supply recorded it on their 1987 Christmas album. Then I liked it even better after Savannah came along in 2002. From birth, she had the most captivating blue eyes. (Shown here at 1 year old). I would look into them and my heart would just melt.


Well, now this child...this Miss Fashionista...has turned her big, blue eyes on the world around her and is freely commenting on what she sees. For example; now that my 89-1/2-year-old mother is with us for a while, Savannah has noticed -- at least twice now -- that I "have the same hair as Grandma. You know, all gray and everything." The other day she was laying across my bed and observed, "Your house is kinda old. It's full of old things (like me and my gray headed "twin", mother?). It has a lot of brown in it (referring, no doubt, to the stained rather than painted trim and molding) and other colors that I just don't like."


So I'm wondering. Will this child grow up to be a very talented fashion/design consultant...or just an everyday "critic"? Only time will tell.




1 comment:

Jess said...

You've forgotten what she told me at the stove... "Nanny's stove is slow, 'cause she's slow!" :)