Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tour of (old) Homes

I should know, but I don't remember who it was that said, "You can never go home again", but I beg to differ. Yes, I know what he was trying to say...but I still disagree. When we went "home" on vacation this year, we went by some old houses of significance. But even though that's not what he was talking about, once I get to Sheridan...I feel like I've never really left. (Mostly because none of those people who make it feel like home have grown up any since we left!)

But...back to the houses. On our way into our home town of Streator, I took this picture of the farm house that my dad was born in. He only lived there a few years and then they moved into town, but this is the Berry family "home". I'm so glad to see that it has been lovingly and meticulously cared for in the over 90 years since they left it. Across the street and all around as far as the eye can see there are corn fields. Lush, beautiful corn fields...the way they are suppose to be. "Knee high by the 4th of July" used to be the standard -- but this picture was taken on July 3rd. Judge for yourself how true that old adage is!

The next logical step would be to show you pictures of the homes that Jerry and I grew up in. But Jerry's has been bulldozed (so has the first apartment we had after we married. Hmmmm...seems to be a pattern here.) The house I grew up in is in horrible condition! I went by it 3 times, but I couldn't make myself take a picture of it. One time there was a truck in the driveway and a man is working on the house. He had the front door propped open and we could see that the walls inside are nothing but studs. Maybe next time I see it it will look great. (I'm hoping here.)

So on we go to the first house we bought. This little starter home is in Ottawa, Illinois. It really hasn't changed much from what we could see on the outside. There used to be a little brick planter in front of the bushes but it was only about 5 bricks high, so that doesn't make much difference in the looks of the place.

The final stop on our home tour is the place where we raised our two daughters. Jodi was in kindergarten when we moved in and she graduated high school a month before we moved from there to Georgia. Jess had to finish her last two years of high school in Covington. This house has changed the most. When we lived there, it was brown with cream colored shutters and trim and a very small slab of concrete with one step that served as a front porch. It is now yellow with white shutters and trim and they have added a wonderful front porch and changed the bay window. There is also some lovely landscaping around the front that has replaced the bushes we had there. I probably should have gone up and knocked on the door. Maybe there were more surprises inside. But I am so glad to think that someone has been caring for and loving this home for the many years I've been gone, because it will always have a special place in my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I knew that front bay window looked different. :)

Amy said...

Hi, JoBeth!

I have enjoyed reading your blog. July has been a whirlwind, and I need to update my own, but, first things first....I had to check out "Fruit Inspection" and then come over here to see how your trip was. I am glad you have a great trip back "home." I know what you mean about going back...in some ways, time stands still.

Amy