Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Superb Vacation

I know...there's nothing worse than having to see pictures and hear stories from someone else's vacation. Well, I'm going to share with you anyway. (Hey, you can always hit "delete" and I'll never know, right?) We really did have a super time the last two weeks and it was one of the best vacations ever. With that in mind, I'd like to just jot down a few more superlatives:

Most beautiful scenery: Nickajack Lake...shimmering blue and surrounded by the rolling green hills of southern Tennessee, just north of Chattanooga. Breathtaking every time I see it.

Cheapest gas: In Mansfield, TN...$3.85 per gallon!

Funniest coincidence: Shirley and I got the same shirt (in different colors) to wear for the 4th of July!

Strangest quilt shop: Earthmans General Store and Quilt Shop in Whites Creek, TN. Advertised as "located in historic James Gang building (and) voted best hamburgers in Nashville." What can I say...that's exactly what it was.

Best belly laughs: Shirley's stupid jokes.

Best bargain: Rest stop #35 in Georgia. Jerry put his money in for a root beer and out came two!

Most delicious memory revisited: Wild black raspberries that we picked at Debbie and Chris' house. We ate heaping amounts of them over ice cream.

Best find: I went antique shopping with Shirley and Judy in Sandwich, IL and found a type setter's tray. The one in my sewing room is full and I've kinda been looking for another one. I've seen a few, but none in very good shape. The ones I've seen have run in the neighborhood of 30-something to 40-something dollars. I found one in perfect condition for $8.50!

Best pizza: Pizzeria Uno. The home of Chicago's deep dish pizza. We had to eat there...it was on my "bucket list". :)

Best travel companion: Jerry "I don't care, whatever you want to do" Simons. He wasn't crazy about going to Chicago...just had the impression from long-ago memories that it was a noisy, dirty, big city. He changed his mind as we walked...and walked...and walked and saw flowers, trees and grass everywhere. He also enjoyed the Cubs' game and was really impressed by Jerzey Boys.

Best reaction: My BFF Shirley's enthusiasm when I gave her a quilt that matches her new family room decor. She's been bitching about not having a quilt for sooooo long!

Most stimulating: We used our government "economic stimulus" money (plus a bunch more) to stimulate several local economies!

Most delightful weather: Who would think that Illinois weather over the 4th of July would be so ideal? If it were like that all the time, that would be a vacationers' mecca.

Most relaxing: Me and Shirley on the patio swing...trying to read but falling asleep. Taking turns napping and pumping the swing with one lazy foot on the ground.



Best repeat performance: Our third year in a row of touring with our friends, Bob and Joan. We've had some really great trips together.

And, finally, the best thing about a vacation: Memories to last a lifetime.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about "Best Margarita" or "Best Margarita clothing" or "Best Margarite machine" or "Best hose soaking at the parade" or "Best looking wig" Should I go on?

Anonymous said...

Loved seeing the highlights. Sounds like a great trip! How was the B&B?

Anonymous said...

Tiffany said you had vacation highlights on your blog so I finally had time to check. Sounds like a great vacation. When can we do it again? Weather hasn't been the same since you left???