Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving Thanks



Wow. Thanks giving. Where do we start? In my side bar, under "about me" I list mostly my relationships. I am, of course, very thankful for each of these people and what they mean to my life. I try to say "thank you" every morning for them. It's also easy to remember to be thankful for my health and theirs, the fact that I -- and each of them -- have a roof over my head, food to eat and clothes to wear. But there are so many, many things that we take for granted. Yes, we have plenty of food to eat...and plenty of it to choose from. But even people in other parts of the world who aren't starving or even living in poverty would be absolutely blown away by what we see when we walk into one of our nice, big, modern grocery stores. The same goes for our department stores, convenience stores, etc. And it's hard to remember to give thanks that we live in a country where we have such a wide range of churches, temples and other places of worship...where we are perfectly free to choose one and enter and worship with other free people. What a priviledge that is! Certainly our country isn't perfect. Nothing in life is, or ever will be, perfect. But living in the United States of America in this day and age is certainly something that we can all be very thankful for. And the fact that I have done absolutely nothing to merit any of this...that I was just born and it was all pretty much dropped in my lap...is enough to bring me to my knees when I say "thank you, God".



No comments: