Sunday, November 30, 2008

Those In-Between Days

While most of you spend the days after Thanksgiving recuperating from an overload of turkey-induced tryptophan or napping after getting up in the wee hours of Black Friday morning to go shopping...I'm cooking, cleaning and getting ready for Thanksgiving. When everyone else is gearing down...I'm gearing up! It has been our tradition the last several years to celebrate our Thanksgiving dinner together on the Sunday after Thanksgiving. That way Jodi, Jeremy and the kids can spend the holiday with the York side of the family without any hassles and Jessica can work and give someone else the day off to be with family. Then we can relax and enjoy our day together.
Since I love the colors of fall and the harvest themes of Thanksgiving, I don't like to decorate for Christmas before we have our big dinner on Sunday. But I do make a few concessions to that. I like to put the outside lights up the day after Thanksgiving and put up the big Christmas tree in the basement. The reason for putting that tree up is that after our Thanksgiving dinner, we all decorate ornaments for this year and go down and hang them on the tree.
Jodi and the kids came over on Friday to help with these lighting chores. So one more item that I included this year was a snowman magnet set that I got to put on the refrigerator. The grand kids had a ball putting it up (and taking it down, and putting it up silly, and taking it down and doing it all again...and again.).
But tomorrow morning I need to kick into high gear and decorate the rest of the house. I'm hosting the Batty Babes on Tuesday night and want the house all decked out for Christmas by then. After this week, the rest of the holiday season should be a breeze!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want a snowman for my white chill chest as well? where did you get him? mcd would LOVE him as much as e&s love yours! happy holiays. miz b

Luanne said...

Found your blog through Jessica's! Just wanted to let you know that I love your quilts. My mom quilts also--but the quilting gene skipped a generation with me. God bless!

Lora said...

Stopping by from Luanne's blog. So nice to meet you and your quilts are amazing. My grandmother taught me to quilt and my youngest teen and I took a class together a couple of years ago and her nimble little fingers have made some beautiful creations.

Our family celebrated Thanksgiving two weeks early this year! Isn't it wonderful when family accomodates everyones schedules?