Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Making of a Fan


Except for enjoying the successes of my friend Mellie's son, Sam, as he finishes his high school football career and goes on to benefit from his full scholarship at Mississippi State...I don't care anything in the world about football. In high school all I cared about was going to the game for social reasons -- and the dance afterward. I don't care about college ball, pro ball or any of the bowl games. I don't eat chili, I don't tailgate -- I simply don't get it. And I'm fine with that.



One of the fierce local rivalries around here is between the University of Georgia Bulldogs and the Yellow Jackets of Georgia Tech. Jodi and Jeremy are big UGA fans and they go to home games whenever they can. And when the "Dawgs" are playing an away game, you can bet they're hosting a party or watching the game with friends at someone else's house. Today, for instance. The grand kids are playing in the other room as I write because mom and dad are cheering their hearts out with their friends. I think they are playing Florida today. The "Jackets" are on TV today also, but I couldn't tell you who they are playing. As I said...I just don't care.

But I'm starting to rethink that now. The weather has been great here this week and I've been enjoying sitting on the front porch in the afternoon sun and reading. Yesterday as I was doing that, I was sitting with my legs stretched out on the porch swing. As I gently swayed and read, my feet were crossed at the ankles. Then -- all of a sudden -- as I slowly rolled my feet together, there was this INTENSE PAIN! I had trapped a yellow jacket wasp between my feet and he, in a snit, decided to inject me with copious amounts of his venom! A simple "ouch" on his part would have brought out an instant and heart felt apology on my part. Why did he overreact like that? I put ice on it and took some ibuprofen, but that horrible and excruciating pain lasted for over 15 hours. I couldn't do anything the rest of the day but lay with my foot up and an ice bag in place. I couldn't sleep, because as soon as my foot left the ice, the pain would instantly wake me. Today I refused to give into the pain, so I'm going about my normal routine. But the intense pain has been replaced with a constant sore ache. Jerry's been stung before, and so he's sympathetic. He asked, "Does it feel like a deep puncture wound?" Well, yes, as a matter of fact...that describes it very well.
So from now on when I hear that UGA and Tech are playing against each other, and word on the street has it that the Bulldogs are going to obliterate the Yellow Jackets, I have only one thing to say: "Go, Dawgs! Sic 'em!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well at least SOMETHING got you in the spirit! :)