Sunday, October 5, 2008

So Sad


Hello. My name is Jo Beth...and I am a Cubs fan. I mean...there outta be a support group! After the most fun and exciting summer in my memory, it seemed like the Cubs were destined for greatness this year. Maybe since it's been exactly 100 years since their last World Series win...the curse might have run its course. But NO!
In case you haven't been paying attention, the Cubbie Bears have had an awesome summer. They've made it good to be a fan again...and then they took it away. They always do. As part of our summer vacation this year, I wanted to go to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field again. I didn't know when I made those plans that they'd be having such a great season. The night we were there my favorite pitcher started (Carlos Zombrano) and my favorite closer -- next to Kyra Sedgwick-- (Kerry Wood) wrapped it up. Then we saw the "win flags" flying all over the place and got to sing the "Go, Cubs, Go" song with the crowd. Nobody is in a hurry to leave the park after a win...they stay to sing the song. We also went on a promotional night. The first 10,00 fans (and we made sure we were among them) got a 1908 baseball cap. Those seemed like good luck. In case you don't know the story, in the 1945 World Series a local fan and business owner tried to take his pet goat to the ballgame. P.K. Wrigley wouldn't allow the goat in and so the fan -- William "Billy Goat" Sianis -- put a curse on the club saying the Cubs would never win a world series again as long as the goat was not allowed in Wrigley Field. But come on...it's been 100 years! Sianis and his goat have long ago gone on to the big ballpark in the sky. It seemed like this might just be the year. They were in first place in their division most of the season...usually about 8 or 10 games ahead of the 2nd place team. They played some fantastic games. Zombrano pitched a no-hitter and the singing of the 7th inning theme song, "Take me Out to the Ballgame" was never more fun. Then they were the first to clinch a division and head into the post season.

Their first opponents, the LA Dodgers, came to the "friendly confines" last week and promptly beat them the first two games. Then, last night, after going all the way to California -- the Dodgers beat them again and -- just like that --they're out of it! I can't even say "wait 'til next year" yet. I'll just be sitting here all day today wearing black. And trying to figure out what I'm going to do with that left over half a bag of salted in the shell peanuts in my pantry.

No comments: