Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Meeting My Deadlines


Quite a while ago I had an idea for a new quilt design that I wanted to make for this spring. I wanted to have it finished in time for the Shop Hop, of course, so I needed to get going since the Hop is pretty early this year. I wanted to hand quilt it, so I had to allow more time for that. The idea was for a quilt called Buttons and Bows (don't start singing it...it'll stick in you head!). I wanted to make bow tie blocks in bright, springy colors and put little yo-yo flowers with button centers across the face of the quilt and in the corners. First it took a little while to find the right fabric, but then I was on my way. Then the buttons I needed were on back order. They finally came in last week...and were the wrong color!! Melisa would have liked to have the quilt yesterday, but I spent the weekend running around -- even going out of town -- to find the buttons to finish the sample and take a photo so I could finish the pattern. It all got done yesterday and she'll have the finished quilt and the patterns today. Here is a picture of the flower yo-yos. If you want to see the whole quilt, you'll have to come into the shop.

Another project I have looked at for a while is a table runner called "Tulip Bells". I am amazed at the technique this designer has come up with. I want to teach it as a class. Melisa got the patterns in just a couple of weeks ago. So I got busy and put the blocks together -- working on them on the plane to Tucson last week, even. Then I sent it off to be machine quilted. Melisa got it back this weekend and sent it to me yesterday along with what I needed for the binding. It's basically a class sample, but we figured that IF it could be finished in time for the Shop Hop it might sell some patterns and be something else new and springy to hang up. So I finished that last night, too, and will take it in today.

I'm excited about going in to work today to see how it's all coming together. Jerry took some ruler holders over there yesterday that he had finished making and he said there was lots of activity. Melisa is so creative and hard working and I just know this year's Shop Hop will be every bit the fun and success it was last year!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are in your zone and place of contentment! i love all you have done for the shop and i treasure each thing you did for me in the past. keep the creative juices flowing and the pictures coming. it inspires me ! miz b

Anonymous said...

Where do you find the energy for all you do? If it's medication, I need some!