Monday, October 6, 2008

A Good Start


A week ago I said I was retired and looking forward to what that would feel like. I'm glad to say that the first week was great! On Monday I finished a quilt. It's the one I had said I couldn't show when I recently listed the ones I've finished lately. That's because it was a gift...for Melisa's birthday. We had a big Babes' birthday party (for 3 members) on Monday night and I gave it to her then. So now I can show it. The printed part in the top center says, "Melisa's Kitchen" and I've used 30s reproduction fabrics. The 5 traditional pieced blocks have kitcheny names like, table for four, broken dishes, cut glass dish, pork and beans and churn dash. Two fill-in blocks have applique; an apple and green and yellow sweet peppers. In the lower right-hand corner is one of her favorite recipes. You can print on special fabric anything that you can type or scan on the computer -- so that's a fun design option. Finally, after all the quilting is done, the apron in bottom center is appliqued on by the waistband...leaving the bottom of the apron to hang free. I like the way it turned out.

So I finished the quilt in the morning, then we had the party in the evening. In between I went with Jessica to look at a house. She's in the market and there was one she wanted to see the inside of. A couple of days in the middle of the week were spent working on scrapbooks. My friend, Mellie, came over and we worked on our books together. I finished two "works in progress" in two days! And I organized all my stickers, papers, etc. Feels so good to finish something like that.
The other days of the week included things like Bible Study, more laundry than I've done in the past month, a little baking, and more quilting. Also...we had the grand kids for 3 days! We went to the zoo with the Yorks, church with Aunt Jess had a picnic lunch in the front yard, collected a whole bunch of cicada skins and read a lot of books.
Jerry and I managed to get a couple of walks in, but didn't play golf yet. That's on the agenda for this week. But so far....I think I'm going to like this! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you are blogging more in your retirement!

Anonymous said...

Melisa's turned out really cute!