Sunday, September 28, 2008

Re-Retired


A little over 4 years ago, I "retired"...well, sort of. I left my full-time job with the school system after having been a school bookkeeper here for 14 years -- and previously in Illinois for another 6. Twenty years of keeping books for teachers is enough! Actually...I left to have more time to spend with my young granddaughter and to have time to help care for my ailing mother. But I guess I wasn't really ready for retirement, because I immediately took a part-time job as an On-Call BOA (branch office administrator) for Edward Jones. It was the very best kind of part time job because it was completely flexible. They would call if they needed a sub, and I could say if I was available or not. Can't beat that. Shortly after that, my friend and fellow quilter, Melisa, started getting ready to open her quilt shop. I went and volunteered some time to help with the original set-up, inventory, etc. When she was ready to hire some help, I went to work there...also part-time. Between these two very good jobs, I was working quite a bit again.

So after a few years, I quit the Edward Jones position. Then I cut back my hours at the quilt shop. I've been thinking of actually retiring full time...maybe some time next spring. Then I started thinking, "why wait?" I am at a season in my life right now where things are very good. For the first time in my adult life, I don't have any real responsibilities! Wow! That one took a while to sink in. I am not responsible for the daily care of children, grandchildren, or a parent. I am so lucky to have a husband I really enjoy spending time with...and he is retired also. We both have our health and enough money to enjoy ourselves. I started to become fully aware that all of these blessings do not come with guarantees. So....last week, I retired again -- from the quilt shop. Now I am full-time retired and can't wait till Monday morning to see how that feels. Jerry said something about going for a hike. I think he wants me to get in shape. Could I be looking for a job again soon???

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I didn't know you were thinking of quitting so soon! Have fun....we'll see how "un-busy" you really are!

Anonymous said...

congratulations! just as i start shopping at the shop again...and you retire. well, guess i will retire my ambitions and go back to reading. i'm not a quilter anyway, as we all know! enjoy the down time and get all your projects under control. i am envious. miz b

Anonymous said...

Well...hello you didn't even call me and tell me you were thinking of being retarded again? Now if you can find some gas you can come to IL anytime. It's been awhile since I have checked your blog, your quilts look lovely. I was telling a member this morning (who quilts) that I bitched long enough that you FINALLY made me one!!YEAH
Love ME