Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hittin' the Books...Again


I never liked school. When we were kids, my sister liked to play school. So I'd agree and we'd get out all the books and pencils and get all set up...and then I'd quit on her. I liked school supplies -- but not the actual work of learning. So it was with the real thing. I would get excited about "Back to School" and get my new clothes and supplies, but then I really didn't want to actually go back to school. When I have adult friends who say they'd love to go back and just take class after class after class, I look at them with a mixture of shock, suspicion and concern (for their sanity). It is a little surprising, then, that I spent more than 20 years working in the school system. But that was okay. As the school bookkeeper, I got to order the supplies...but didn't really have to use them! :)

In light of all that, it's a little surprising to me that I just signed up for a bible study class. Notice the words "study" and "class" used in that one sentence. Yikes. I'm going to be expected to learn things...and that's okay...but I'm also going to have to do homework. That was always the worst. But I am excited about this. Last year Jodi took the BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) class and said she really got a lot out of it and encouraged me to think about going to it when it started back up this year. So last Wednesday was our first meeting and I've had homework this week. So far, so good. I'm pretty much on track with my lesson and I really am looking forward to getting into the Word and learning more about things that I should have known more about for a long time. Better late than never, I guess. And while we're using platitudes, let's see if someone can teach this "old dog new tricks".

No comments: