Thursday, July 31, 2008

Goin' to the Moomies

He can say it right, now, but a few months ago Emery referred to going to see a movie as going to the "Moomie Fater". It just tickled me and it's one of those things I'll probably always remember about him zipping through one of those early stages. Anyway, yesterday I took the little ones to the moomie fater for the second week in a row.

Earlier this summer my friend, Robin, told me about a program at the AMC theater called "Summer Movie Camp". Every Wednesday morning during the summer they have a children's movie and admission is $1! And you can get them a snack tray...small popcorn, small drink and a package of gummy fruits...for $3. Now compared to what it costs to go to a movie these days that's a bargain! And the proceeds benefit the Variety Children's Charity and the Will Rogers Institute. I just love a win-win. So I thought I'd take the kiddies to a movie on a few Wednesday mornings and see if mommy wouldn't like a chance to get a few things done with the speed of an unencumbered woman.

With all that's been going on this summer, last week was the first chance I'd had to take them. Grandpa went with us and we saw Jerry Seinfield's "Bee Movie". I had seen it before, but I enjoyed it again and the kids liked it. Yesterday's feature was "Surf's Up". It was called a "mocumentary"...but what it was mocking was lost on me. I guess I haven't seen enough surfer dude movies to get the point. But it didn't thrill me much. The kids were kind of bored, too. But it was still a fun day and worth doing. After the movie, we come back here and get in the pool for a while and then take naps. So...even if the movie is less than stellar, we have a great day, we give our bit to charity, and mom gets some stuff done. But that's it for this year. Next week is the final one and even though it makes for a fun day, I don't want to see "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles". But I'll have to remember to start going earlier next year.

No comments: