Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Big Boy



Emery turned 6 years old this summer. Ever notice how birthdays are much more exciting when you're in your sixth year rather than your sixth decade? He's been talking about this event ever since he ate the last piece of birthday cake when he turned 5! He's told me many different ideas over the past year about what kind of party he was going to have when he turned 6. But when the big day came, the only "party" he had was one with family. He didn't seem to mind a bit, though.


We all went bowling and had a great time. I really don't remember the last time I was bowling and it felt pretty awkward. The next morning some of my "bowling muscles" were saying, "What the heck???" It's fun to go bowling with kids now because they have those little guards that pop up and block the gutter and it gives them a little bit of a chance. I don't know what the age requirement is for those, but they ought to be put up for geezers, too.


Savannah and Emery have been bowling before, so they were like old pros. Telling us where to get our shoes, what kind of ball we needed, and how to do almost everything. Emery cracked me up...but then, he always does. His form was "enthusiastic" if not "perfect" and he can really deliver the ball. It was their family as well as Jerry, Jessica, me and Papa Jim.


After bowling we all went out to eat. Emery's choice...Mexican. He's all about the chips and cheese. (Me, too.) Then we went to Chick-fil-A and he opened his gifts and the kids played on the indoor playground for a little while. A good family fun evening to usher in this special date.


Happy Birthday, my little man. I hope I can help you celebrate many more!



No comments: